Saturday, February 10, 2007

WebCT Surveys as an Assessment Tool

Most textbook companies supply WebCT quizzes with their textbooks and I take advantage of them. For each chapter I assign a quiz to be taken outside of class and count them as 10% of the students grade. I find it forces textbook reading.

Surveys are something I had not used until last semester. I created surveys for the material being covered in the class and had them take them in class. Surveys are not graded and are anonymous, so there is no pressure on the students. Giving the same survey before the material is covered and again after it is covered allows me to determine how much was really absorbed.

Then I used a survey at the end of the semester to assess my own performance in their eyes and how well they liked using WebCT.

Here are two White Papers on using surveys:

Understanding Surveys
http://www.ric.edu/revans/webct_files/Understanding%20Surveys.mht

Analyzing Surveys
http://www.ric.edu/revans/webct_files/Analyzing%20Surveys.mht

No comments: